Thursday, January 17, 2008

Miguel Ramos, Final Exam

The topic I chose to write about is the hero's journey. Ia m going to tell about Chuck's Heroes Journey. The reason I chose to write about Chuck is that he is a good example of the heroes journey. I also believe his journey has all of the elements of a heroes journey. The first thing I am going to write about is the calling.

Chuck's calling was his job, which was working for FedEx. The time always mattered to Chuck and his job. Chuck was always looking at the time as it was important to his job. His job was the thing that led him to the airport. The threshold in his journey was whether he should go or not. His choice to go was made at the airport.

The descent in his journey was when the plane crashed into the ocean. He managed to escape and float onto an island. This is also the abyss in the story. He was very angry and frustrated when he first got onto the island. He couldn't do anything because he was not used to the type of life he would soon have to learn to live on the island.

Chuck's mentor in the story is a volleyball that he got out of one of the FedEx boxes. He painted on a face and named it Wilson. Without Wilson I believe Chuck would not have been able to survive or keep his sanity on the island. Wilson is his mentor because he is there to keep Chuck company.The transformation happens when Chuck learn to make a fire, learn to fish, and take his tooth off with an ice skate and a rock. He eventually builds a raft that can go over the reef that was keeping him in.

His return comes when he gets to his girl's house. You could also say his return happens when he gets to the airport. His creation is that he learns to value and appreciate time. I believe Chuck truly changed his life. I also believe the events I wrote about make him a hero and I also believe his journey was a heroes journey.

No comments: